COLEMAN MEIER, Olympus, football: Was simply superb in leading Olympus to a convincing 49-20 region victory over Orem last Friday night.
The senior running back racked up 419 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns.
"Coleman is a tremendous kid whose character matches his talent," said Titans coach Aaron Whitehead. "He ran the ball well for us. He has yet to peak. "
Meier was dominant on the ground carrying the ball 16 times for 255 yards and four scores. On special teams, Meier had one punt return for 40 yards and returned two kickoffs a combined 117 yards including a 92 yard touchdown.
Through five games this season Meier has rushed for 566 yards and a total of nine touchdowns.
LAURYN DELA CRUZ, Timpview, volleyball: The only thing that exceeds Lauryn Dela Cruz's athletic ability is her enthusiasm for the games she plays.
"Lauryn is an exceptional leader and athlete," said Timpview coach Kristen Bailey. "As a four year starter Lauryn has always encouraged her teammates to play their best by her great example of skill and hard work. She lifts up her teammates with energy and encouragement and is always willing to lend a hand in any capacity needed. Lauryn's love for the game is highly contagious."
Dela Cruz is also an All-State basketball player who helped the T-birds to a second-place last season. This year, she's been so dominant that she's already earned 100 kills for the team.
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at email@example.com
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 53
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 44