On The Money: Get the facts before choosing bankruptcy
For those suffering extreme financial hardship, filing personal bankruptcy may seem the only option.
But declaring personal bankruptcy, either through Chapter 13 (reorganization) or Chapter 7 (liquidation), is a very serious matter that can affect a person’s credit standing for many years after.
Individuals should consider bankruptcy very carefully before starting the process. To that end, it would be well worth a visit to one of several good websites with information about Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Here are a few:
—American Bar Association: Discusses bankruptcy advantages, disadvantages and alternatives. http://www.abanet.org/publiced/practical/bankruptcypros.html
—Bankruptcy Law: Serves up in-depth look at bankruptcy, including reasons for filing, 10 things a person should know about it, and an explanation of the process. http://www.bankruptcylaw.org/Basics/Good-People.html
—FindLaw: Features bankruptcy basics, with a special focus on Chapter 13 and Chapter 7. http://bankruptcy.findlaw.com/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-basics/
—Internal Revenue Service: Manuals that lay out the legal guidelines and procedures for filing for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy. http://www.irs.gov/irm/part5/irm(UNDERSCORE)05-017-009.html
—U.S. Courts: Provides overview to all forms of bankruptcy, including Chapters 7 and 13. http://www.uscourts.gov/bankruptcycourts/bankruptcybasics.html
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally?
- These three countries offer insights into the...
- Young widows speak out about managing grief,...
- Is the 40-hour workweek falling out of fashion?
- 10 cheapest colleges for out-of-state students
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek...
- Dave Ramsey says: Gaining control of your...
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4 percent
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek... 13
- Lease or buy: That's the (car) question 11
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 8
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead... 6
- Study: 23 pct of US adults with health... 3
- McDonald's CEO faces shareholders amid... 3
- The college degrees with the highest... 2