On The Money: Get the facts before choosing bankruptcy
For those suffering extreme financial hardship, filing personal bankruptcy may seem the only option.
But declaring personal bankruptcy, either through Chapter 13 (reorganization) or Chapter 7 (liquidation), is a very serious matter that can affect a person’s credit standing for many years after.
Individuals should consider bankruptcy very carefully before starting the process. To that end, it would be well worth a visit to one of several good websites with information about Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Here are a few:
—American Bar Association: Discusses bankruptcy advantages, disadvantages and alternatives. http://www.abanet.org/publiced/practical/bankruptcypros.html
—Bankruptcy Law: Serves up in-depth look at bankruptcy, including reasons for filing, 10 things a person should know about it, and an explanation of the process. http://www.bankruptcylaw.org/Basics/Good-People.html
—FindLaw: Features bankruptcy basics, with a special focus on Chapter 13 and Chapter 7. http://bankruptcy.findlaw.com/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-basics/
—Internal Revenue Service: Manuals that lay out the legal guidelines and procedures for filing for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy. http://www.irs.gov/irm/part5/irm(UNDERSCORE)05-017-009.html
—U.S. Courts: Provides overview to all forms of bankruptcy, including Chapters 7 and 13. http://www.uscourts.gov/bankruptcycourts/bankruptcybasics.html
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529 plan
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: First 'real' job teaches...
- In a surprising move, Dollar Tree will buy...
- From benches to bedrooms: How some...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 11
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects... 6
- Study: 35 percent in US facing debt... 5
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't touch that 529... 5
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 3