Environmental Protection Agency: "Only a core group" of workers would remain at work.
Health and Human Services: In all, 40,512 staff members would not work; 37,686 would.
Homeland Security: Sixteen percent of the agency's 230,000 employees would not work
Interior: Altogether, 58,000 of 72,562 employees face furloughs
Justice: A total of 17,742 employees out of 114,486 employees would not work
Treasury: Eighty-eight percent of the 101,000 employees would be furloughed, including nearly 90 percent of the IRS workforce.
Veterans Affairs: About 5 percent of 332,000 staffers would not keep working.
While the vote to delay the Affordable Care Act was almost strictly along party lines, the House voted unanimously to provide military pay during a shutdown.
"I believe that all federal employees should be paid," said Rep. Frank R. Wolf, R-Va. "Federal employees and their families should not be punished because the administration and Congress cannot agree."
Another Virginia Republican, Rob Wittman, agreed, saying "these hardworking patriots serve our nation on a daily basis. . . . They deserve the best."
Then both Republicans joined the others in voting for the legislation that would effectively put many of those hardworking patriots out of work.
"Make no mistake: House Republicans voted this evening to shut down the government, and they did it intentionally," said Rep. Donna F. Edwards, D-Md. "For the federal workers and civilian contractors in my district, many who work alongside our military personnel, this is an insult to their hard work and commitment to our country."
- 'Llama drama' owners say USDA draws line...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Jury: Life sentence for grandmother in girl's...
- Painstaking recovery mission at treacherous...
- Crash victim's father calls for more focus on...
- Move over 'Phantom,' Coldplay getting air...
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say it's...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- Rep. Trey Gowdy: Hillary Clinton wiped... 48
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 34
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot... 27
- Preparing for 2016 campaign, Hillary... 17
- Military: Bowe Bergdahl may face life... 17