Kothari-Mashru decides to run. As she leaves, though, she sees a friend she had met that day, lying down, obviously wounded.
"Can you get up?" Kothari-Mashru asks.
Her friend has been shot three times. She smiles at Kothari-Mashru, but says she cannot move.
As the crowds swarm toward what seems to be safety, Kothari-Mashru leaves.
"It was heartbreaking," she says later.
"I don't know. I don't know," she says. "She couldn't get up. She couldn't move. She just lay there."
Soon, Kothari-Mashru is among dozens of people on a back staircase heading to safety. As she races down, she runs into her husband, who had convinced two plainclothed policemen to help find her. Later, Kothari-Mashru's friend was rescued and treated at a hospital.
Millionaires Casino, about 4 p.m.:
Police bang on the door of the casino. The 10 people hiding in the crawl space are escorted out by security forces. They were never forced to recite the creed.
Westgate Mall, about 6:30 p.m.:
Dozens, perhaps more than 100 people, remain scattered thorugh the mall as the sun sets. Bodies are carried out as security forces push the gunmen into ever smaller areas.
Mulwa, who had taken cover in the flowerbed and was shot in the leg, has already been taken to safety by police and hospitalized. After surgery, he is released from the hospital.
The siege does not end until Tuesday night, at the end of fierce gunbattles, a fire and the collapse of part of the structure.
Among the dead is Kofi Awoonor of Ghana, a beloved 78-year-old poet who was in Nairobi for a literary festival. His body was flown Wednesday to Accra, the capital of his homeland, where hundreds gathered at the airport to remember him as a man of peace.
In one verse, he was clearly conscious of his own mortality.
"When the final night falls on us
"As it fell upon our parents,
"We shall retire to our modest home
"That we have done our duty
"By our people;
"We met the challenge of history
"And were not afraid."
Associated Press writers Adam Schreck and Jacob Kushner contributed to this story.
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Treasury Secretary gets more than 1 million...
- George Washington University joins other...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Man accused in lion death says he thought...
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy Scout...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- 2016 Republicans use Trump, TV to make... 26
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 26
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 16