Gene J. Puskar, AP
Responses to the decision by the NCAA to gradually restore football scholarships taken from Penn State in response to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal:
— Penn State president Rodney Erickson: "This action today ... recognizes the significant efforts over the past year to make Penn State a safer, stronger institution."
—Penn State football coach Bill O'Brien: "The scholarship additions will allow us to provide more student-athletes with a tremendous opportunity to earn that degree and play football for Penn State."
—Penn State athletic director Dave Joyner: "I am very happy for Coach O'Brien, the football coaches and staff and the players; especially pleased for our current and future student-athletes, who are the most important reason why we love working in intercollegiate athletics."
—Penn Staters for Responsible Leadership spokeswoman Maribeth Roman Schmidt: "The NCAA has taken the first step toward repairing some of the damage that it and Penn State's leaders have inflicted on Penn State."
—Family of former coach Joe Paterno: "Penn State is a great university with an excellent culture. The ultimate resolution to this tragic episode is a full and fair review of the record. A transparent process that respects due process will serve the best interests of the victims, the university, the NCAA and all other affected parties."
—Athletics integrity monitor and former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell: "While there is more work to be done, Penn State has clearly demonstrated its commitment to restoring integrity in its athletics program."
—NCAA president Mark Emmert: "The goal has always been to ensure the university enforces clear expectations and a daily mindset within athletics that the highest priority must be placed on educating, nurturing and protecting young people."
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 75
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 62
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37