Letter: Count My Vote initiative will lead to much wider and enthusiastic voter participation
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
I am an independent, but I have voted Republican by a large majority my entire life. I plan to sign the initiative petition being supported by Count My Vote. Furthermore, I plan to vote in favor of the initiative in the elections in 2014.
In my view, I see the opposition by the Republican party leadership to the initiative as an effort to maintain political power of the few through the unfair caucus/convention system as it exists.
I see Count My Vote and the initiative as an effort to open the political process to all the people of the state of Utah. It will lead to a direct primary vote for all qualifying candidates. Furthermore, I am convinced that the initiative will lead to much wider and enthusiastic voter participation and turnout.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Letter: Society puzzles
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Equality in family life does not mean sameness
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 39
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 32