Letter: Count My Vote initiative will lead to much wider and enthusiastic voter participation
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
I am an independent, but I have voted Republican by a large majority my entire life. I plan to sign the initiative petition being supported by Count My Vote. Furthermore, I plan to vote in favor of the initiative in the elections in 2014.
In my view, I see the opposition by the Republican party leadership to the initiative as an effort to maintain political power of the few through the unfair caucus/convention system as it exists.
I see Count My Vote and the initiative as an effort to open the political process to all the people of the state of Utah. It will lead to a direct primary vote for all qualifying candidates. Furthermore, I am convinced that the initiative will lead to much wider and enthusiastic voter participation and turnout.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- My view: Medical marijuana: Google vs. PubMed
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Rely on invisible hand?
- George F. Will: Break the dentists' hold on...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: National security and... 79
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 58
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 39
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 32
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 24