Letter: Count My Vote initiative will lead to much wider and enthusiastic voter participation
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
I am an independent, but I have voted Republican by a large majority my entire life. I plan to sign the initiative petition being supported by Count My Vote. Furthermore, I plan to vote in favor of the initiative in the elections in 2014.
In my view, I see the opposition by the Republican party leadership to the initiative as an effort to maintain political power of the few through the unfair caucus/convention system as it exists.
I see Count My Vote and the initiative as an effort to open the political process to all the people of the state of Utah. It will lead to a direct primary vote for all qualifying candidates. Furthermore, I am convinced that the initiative will lead to much wider and enthusiastic voter participation and turnout.
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 42
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 42
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local... 28
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are... 21