Israel vows to expand Hebron settlement following shooting
Bernat Armangue, Associated Press
JERUSALEM — Following the killing of two Israeli soldiers over the last three days, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would expand a controversial Jewish settlement in the West Bank city of Hebron.
“We will continue to fight terrorism with one hand, and strengthen settlements with the other,’’ Netanyahu said.
In retaliation for the shooting of an Israeli soldier Sunday in Hebron, Netanyahu said he would allow for the immediate resettlement of Beit Hamachpela, a disputed building near Hebron’s Tomb of Patriarchs and Ibrahimi mosque.
Jewish settlers who occupied the building without permission were evicted last year by the Defense Ministry.
“Those who try to uproot us from Hebron, the city of our forefathers, will only achieve the opposite,” Netanyahu said.
Israel Defense Forces identified the soldier as Sgt. Gabriel Koby, 20, from Tirat Carmel. He was shot in the neck while patrolling Sunday. Israeli officials suspect he was killed by a Palestinian sniper.
©2013 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Feds call for judge to disband police in...
- Malia Obama to enter Harvard in 2017 after...
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for...
- Did woman sway boy to kill his dad? Court...
- Confident Trump seeks knockout of Cruz in...
- Monkey bars alert: Playground concussions are...
- South Africa: Rescued lions explore new home...
- Man abandoned 30 years ago tries to find his...
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican... 79
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 55
- Kasich dropping out; Trump on clear GOP... 30
- White House: Obama not offended by... 28
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 23
- Trump, Clinton all but certain to face... 20
- Rowdy Trump protests portend explosive... 19
- Trump virtually clinches Republican... 19