But after falling behind 10-0, Vick got the Eagles' no-huddle, fast-tempo offense in gear with the longest run of his 12-year career. He burst up the middle, shook off two attempted tackles and sped 61 yards. Two plays later, it was his arm doing the damage. Under a heavy rush, he stood in and led Jason Avant perfectly in the left corner of the end zone for a 22-yard score.
That three-play, 87-yard spurt epitomized the fast-paced offense coach Chip Kelly brought from Oregon in replacing Reid. But Kelly got cute, going for a 2-point conversion on tight end Zach Ertz's run that failed.
The takeaways kept the Chiefs in front. And after Avery turned a short pass into a 51-yard gain thanks to sloppy Eagles tackling, Succop made a 31-yard field goal. He kicked a 34-yarder moments later after another turnover, Sean Smith's interception, for a 16-6 halftime edge.
Avery had a big night, finishing with seven catches for 141 yards.
Alex Henery's 29-yard field goal was the only scoring of a sloppy third quarter, and when Jamaal Charles surged around right end for a 3-yard TD early in the fourth quarter, Reid's return was a rousing success. Not even LeSean McCoy's 41-yard TD run with 11:36 remaining could spoil that.
"This was definitely bigger than coach Reid, and he would be the first to admit that," cornerback Sean Smith said. "This was about us as an organization, as a team, to go out there and be 3-0, which is big in the NFL."
NOTES: The Eagles retired Donovan McNabb's No. 5 jersey at halftime. ... The Chiefs are the fifth team to go 3-0 after losing 14 games or more the previous season. ... Kansas City came into the game tied for the league lead in sacks and now has 15. ... Chiefs LG Jeff Allen injured his groin and CB Brandon Flowers aggravated a knee injury,
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
- Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel...
- Manning leads Broncos past gritty Steelers 23-16
- Want the Lombardi Trophy? Pay attention to...
- Panthers build 31-0 lead, hold on to beat...
- NFL ties, divisional playoffs: Smith has...
- Titans decide to keep interim Mike Mularkey...
- Patriots to 5th straight AFC title game, beat...
- Cardinals' "Hail Larry" trumps Rodgers' Hail...
- Former BYU cornerback Robertson Daniel... 13
- Panthers build 31-0 lead, hold on to... 4
- Manning leads Broncos past gritty... 2
- Titans decide to keep interim Mike... 0
- Patriots to 5th straight AFC title... 0
- Cardinals' "Hail Larry" trumps Rodgers'... 0
- Want the Lombardi Trophy? Pay attention... 0
- NFL ties, divisional playoffs: Smith... 0