JARDEE NESSEN, Bear River, football: Did his best Peyton Manning impersonation in last Friday's 62-48 region-opening victory over Tooele.
In the highest-scoring non-overtime game in Utah since 1972, Bear River's senior quarterback completed 26 of 34 passes for 492 yards and a staggering seven touchdowns.
He also ran for a touchdown in a game that seemed like it would go on forever.
Nessen came into the season with big shoes to fill replacing Kyle Zundel at QB, and he's done well in leading the Bears to a 3-1 record. He's passed for 1,300 yards and nine TDs while also rushing for 100 yards and five TDs.
Nessen also plays basketball and baseball for Bear River.
KAITLIN VERBITSKI, Northridge, volleyball: Kaitlin Verbitski has impressive athleticism, but that's not what helps her most on — and off — the volleyball court.
"She's a confident person on the court and in the classroom," said Northridge head volleyball coach Shauna Haney. "She is a primary passer and an integral part of the offense."
The three-year starter at outside hitter is athletic and intelligent about the way she approaches the game. She's a fiery player who elevates the game of those who play with her.
"She brings great enthusiasm to the team," said Haney.
To nominate a prep of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- High school sports: Thursday's roundup
- Modern sports medicine hits home for Wasatch...
- High school soccer: Alta defeats defending...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- American Fork's solid defense gets it... 6
- High school football: Jordan's Austin... 3
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5 2
- Girls soccer: Brighton Bengals bury the... 2
- High school football: North Sanpete,... 1
- High School Volleyball: Panguitch,... 1
- High school football: Felt's Facts for... 1