JARDEE NESSEN, Bear River, football: Did his best Peyton Manning impersonation in last Friday's 62-48 region-opening victory over Tooele.
In the highest-scoring non-overtime game in Utah since 1972, Bear River's senior quarterback completed 26 of 34 passes for 492 yards and a staggering seven touchdowns.
He also ran for a touchdown in a game that seemed like it would go on forever.
Nessen came into the season with big shoes to fill replacing Kyle Zundel at QB, and he's done well in leading the Bears to a 3-1 record. He's passed for 1,300 yards and nine TDs while also rushing for 100 yards and five TDs.
Nessen also plays basketball and baseball for Bear River.
KAITLIN VERBITSKI, Northridge, volleyball: Kaitlin Verbitski has impressive athleticism, but that's not what helps her most on — and off — the volleyball court.
"She's a confident person on the court and in the classroom," said Northridge head volleyball coach Shauna Haney. "She is a primary passer and an integral part of the offense."
The three-year starter at outside hitter is athletic and intelligent about the way she approaches the game. She's a fiery player who elevates the game of those who play with her.
"She brings great enthusiasm to the team," said Haney.
To nominate a prep of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- High school football: Work ethic has helped...
- Whooping cough is making a comeback —...
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- High school sports: Preps of the week
- High school football: Stansbury working hard...
- Photo gallery from the Fall 7s Rugby...
- Bingham vs. Brighton bonus photo gallery
- High school football: Bingham rolls past...