Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Why does Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill continue to investigate this matter, except to further his own transparent political ambitions ("No federal charges for John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff," Sept. 12)?
Gill initiated the tip for this story in the Fall of 2012. It didn't stick in the election. So, after John Swallow took office in January 2013, Gill elevated it from a political matter to a legal matter. For the last 7.5 months, Gill has pursued these unsubstantiated allegations with no positive results for the public.
The Feds have closed their investigation without action. Further, Gill has permanently sullied the reputations of Shurtleff and Swallow, two previously well regarded public servants. Additionally, he has wasted a small fortune in tax dollars. Moreover, Gill continues to pursue these matters regardless of shame.
This is not justice for the people of Salt Lake. This is not justice for Swallow or Schurtleff. It is merely a naked grab for political power by Gill. As responsible citizens, we owe our community an obligation to hold him accountable.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: The breach between mass...
- David Blankenhorn: Overcoming the blindness...
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- Drew Clark: Deeply felt religious faith, of...
- Letter: Excess political science
- Letter: 'Kate's Law'
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Speaker of...
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second... 88
- In our opinion: The breach between mass... 54
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 51
- Letter: Greater security 51
- Letter: Our French Revolution 30
- Letter: Excess political science 30
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil... 26
- Letter: Kill off expansion 25