Carolyn Kaster, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is mourning what he calls "yet another mass shooting" in the United States that took the life of what he says were American patriots.
Obama promised to make sure, quote, "whoever carried out this cowardly act is held responsible."
Authorities said at least 12 people were killed in a shooting rampage Monday at the Washington Navy Yard about 3 1/2 miles from the White House.
Obama said the victims were "courageous Americans" who knew about the risks of serving overseas, but wouldn't have expected such "unimaginable violence" at home.
The White House said the president has been receiving frequent briefings about the unfolding situation by senior aides. He also telephoned Navy Secretary Ray Mabus to express his condolences to families and colleagues of the victims.
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- John Lennon's killer: My life is all about...
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola to...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- US delivers military aid to Lebanese army
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Washington city fights to keep legal...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 25
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14