On The Money: The many forms, functions of mutual funds
Lisa Poole, Associated Press
Mutual funds are one type of investment vehicle that allows investors to purchase a variety of stocks and bonds in a pool form. But not all mutual funds are alike. Some funds focus on specific stock sectors, while others cast a wider net.
A bevy of information about mutual funds is available on the World Wide Web. If you’d like to learn more about mutual funds, here are a few good sites:
—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Explains how mutual funds work and different fund types. http://www.sec.gov/answers/mutfund.htm
—Bankrate.com: Useful primer on how mutual funds work. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/financial-literacy/spotlight-gail-marksjarvis-1.aspx
—American Association of Individual Investors: Answers a variety of frequently asked questions about mutual funds. http://www.aaii.com/investing/article/mutual-funds-faqs
—Investopedia: Provides dozens of articles devoted to mutual fund topics. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/
—Mutual Fund Investor’s Center: Contains all sorts of info on the inner workings of mutual funds. http://www.mfea.com/InvestingBasics/LearningTopics/GetStarted/TypesFunds.asp
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- More Americans spending at least half their...
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price to pay...
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on the poor
- $100 million for a home? Luxury buyers reach...
- How to fight the prom price war
- Crowdfunding: Where social media meets...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view of the...
- Dave Ramsey says: Personal finance is all...
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- Pope echoes feminist anthem of equal... 6
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- $100 million for a home? Luxury buyers... 4
- More Americans spending at least half... 4
- Why some handsome men have trouble... 4
- Randy Shumway: A cure for the 'tapeworm... 3