On The Money: The many forms, functions of mutual funds
Lisa Poole, Associated Press
Mutual funds are one type of investment vehicle that allows investors to purchase a variety of stocks and bonds in a pool form. But not all mutual funds are alike. Some funds focus on specific stock sectors, while others cast a wider net.
A bevy of information about mutual funds is available on the World Wide Web. If you’d like to learn more about mutual funds, here are a few good sites:
—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Explains how mutual funds work and different fund types. http://www.sec.gov/answers/mutfund.htm
—Bankrate.com: Useful primer on how mutual funds work. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/financial-literacy/spotlight-gail-marksjarvis-1.aspx
—American Association of Individual Investors: Answers a variety of frequently asked questions about mutual funds. http://www.aaii.com/investing/article/mutual-funds-faqs
—Investopedia: Provides dozens of articles devoted to mutual fund topics. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/
—Mutual Fund Investor’s Center: Contains all sorts of info on the inner workings of mutual funds. http://www.mfea.com/InvestingBasics/LearningTopics/GetStarted/TypesFunds.asp
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- The 10 most livable small towns
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 9
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make... 1