On The Money: The many forms, functions of mutual funds
Lisa Poole, Associated Press
Mutual funds are one type of investment vehicle that allows investors to purchase a variety of stocks and bonds in a pool form. But not all mutual funds are alike. Some funds focus on specific stock sectors, while others cast a wider net.
A bevy of information about mutual funds is available on the World Wide Web. If you’d like to learn more about mutual funds, here are a few good sites:
—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Explains how mutual funds work and different fund types. http://www.sec.gov/answers/mutfund.htm
—Bankrate.com: Useful primer on how mutual funds work. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/financial-literacy/spotlight-gail-marksjarvis-1.aspx
—American Association of Individual Investors: Answers a variety of frequently asked questions about mutual funds. http://www.aaii.com/investing/article/mutual-funds-faqs
—Investopedia: Provides dozens of articles devoted to mutual fund topics. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/
—Mutual Fund Investor’s Center: Contains all sorts of info on the inner workings of mutual funds. http://www.mfea.com/InvestingBasics/LearningTopics/GetStarted/TypesFunds.asp
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- How can Google snap its stock out of its stupor?
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Germany: Talk of axing Greek debt 'divorced...
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- Want to save money in 2015?... 4
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Obama to seek to bust spending limits... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re... 1