On The Money: The many forms, functions of mutual funds
Lisa Poole, Associated Press
Mutual funds are one type of investment vehicle that allows investors to purchase a variety of stocks and bonds in a pool form. But not all mutual funds are alike. Some funds focus on specific stock sectors, while others cast a wider net.
A bevy of information about mutual funds is available on the World Wide Web. If you’d like to learn more about mutual funds, here are a few good sites:
—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Explains how mutual funds work and different fund types. http://www.sec.gov/answers/mutfund.htm
—Bankrate.com: Useful primer on how mutual funds work. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/financial-literacy/spotlight-gail-marksjarvis-1.aspx
—American Association of Individual Investors: Answers a variety of frequently asked questions about mutual funds. http://www.aaii.com/investing/article/mutual-funds-faqs
—Investopedia: Provides dozens of articles devoted to mutual fund topics. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/
—Mutual Fund Investor’s Center: Contains all sorts of info on the inner workings of mutual funds. http://www.mfea.com/InvestingBasics/LearningTopics/GetStarted/TypesFunds.asp
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- More home-cooked meals really can save you...
- Financial interventions don't work
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 37
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 6
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Child poverty just dropped for the... 4