On The Money: The many forms, functions of mutual funds
Lisa Poole, Associated Press
Mutual funds are one type of investment vehicle that allows investors to purchase a variety of stocks and bonds in a pool form. But not all mutual funds are alike. Some funds focus on specific stock sectors, while others cast a wider net.
A bevy of information about mutual funds is available on the World Wide Web. If you’d like to learn more about mutual funds, here are a few good sites:
—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: Explains how mutual funds work and different fund types. http://www.sec.gov/answers/mutfund.htm
—Bankrate.com: Useful primer on how mutual funds work. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/financial-literacy/spotlight-gail-marksjarvis-1.aspx
—American Association of Individual Investors: Answers a variety of frequently asked questions about mutual funds. http://www.aaii.com/investing/article/mutual-funds-faqs
—Investopedia: Provides dozens of articles devoted to mutual fund topics. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/mutualfund/
—Mutual Fund Investor’s Center: Contains all sorts of info on the inner workings of mutual funds. http://www.mfea.com/InvestingBasics/LearningTopics/GetStarted/TypesFunds.asp
©2013 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for People Who Have...
- 10 great gift ideas for people who have...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop to...
- Balancing act: How connected is too connected...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- What do the new jobs numbers mean?
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure... 78
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 8
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 6
- What do the new jobs numbers mean? 6
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop... 4