Julio Cortez, Associated Press
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Miss America contestants restarted a boardwalk tradition by showing off their shoes.
With the pageant making its return to New Jersey this year, the 53 competitors paraded down the Atlantic City boardwalk Saturday evening to the refrain of "show us your shoes!"
Some contestants sported footwear that reflects their state. Miss Florida's shoes depicted alligators, Miss Indiana's had basketballs and hoops, Miss New Jersey sported sea shells and Miss Arizona's had a cactus.
Others are took a different approach. Miss South Dakota opted for metal-studded black leather boots and Miss Oklahoma donned black and red cowboy boots.
Miss Utah Ciera Pekarcik's shoes had a fire and ice theme.
The pageant is back in Atlantic City after six years in Las Vegas. The winner will be crowned during Sunday night's nationally televised broadcast.
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12