Colorado flooding brings tales of dramatic rescues, improvisation (+photos)
He and his wife had initially been told to evacuate but couldn't because the river was flowing over the bridge to their house. On Saturday, Sronce was able to get down the road to the convenience store, stopping short of a traffic checkpoint and walking the rest of the way so he wouldn't be kept from returning to his home if he drove past the checkpoint.
"These trees were coming down the river and would hit the abutment to the bridge, and the earth would shake. So much power," Sronce said.
Sronce endured major flooding and runoff in the area two years ago, but said the water this time was 3 to 4 feet higher.
For a group of grinning, super-fit men and women, the flooding offered a real-life test of the skills they were learning in a wilderness survival course at a campground.
As they got off a school bus Saturday, the happy campers shouted boasts among themselves about how long they could have lasted in the wild.
"There were rabbits around. There were fish in the pond, water — you just make a charcoal filter and boil it," said Norwell Therien, who wore camouflage cargo shorts and several earrings and is starting an emergency preparedness company. "We could have been up there for the two weeks they speculated it would take to fix the roads without problem. I would have been cool with it."
The torrential rain became a lesson in how to deal with washed-out trails.
"With our background in survival, we were perfectly content to just continue our class. We were all taking notes in the rain." Therien said. "I had already begun scouting out where you might find a rabbit or where the deer might come."
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- How Hillary Clinton chose Virginia Sen. Tim...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- 8 Turks who fled to Greece are a diplomatic...
- South Sudan armed opposition claims to remove...
- Kaine liberal appeal muted by energy ties,...
- Activists: Airstrikes on IS-held villages in...
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 43
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 36
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 24