It seems the summer has swept by us in a minute, and now we are coming up on the excitement of the November elections. Am I the only one that gets a little excited at the prospect of a really good candidate forum? I enjoy the opportunity to listen to thoughtfully prepared questions put to those so dedicated to their communities that they put themselves on the ballot for public office.
Municipal elections are so important because of how they may affect our daily lives. From garbage pickup and community parks to business licenses and street maintenance, everything that makes a city or town a place we want to live. Plus, these politicians are your neighbors, someone you might run into in the grocery store.
So I urge everyone to enjoy this time and go to these candidate forums whenever you can; even take a step further and get involved. Become a timer, question moderator or even host a candidate meet and greet for friends in your home. Above all, don't miss the chance to get involved at the very starting point of government office.
West Valley City
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Nelson Mandela left legacy of freedom and faith
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- In our opinion: Letting Afghanistan revert to...
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 47
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 17
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 16