Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
KRAMER MORTON, Alta, cross country: Defending 5A cross country champion Kramer Morton proved last week that he's going to be tough to dethrone again this year.
The Alta senior won the Murray Invitational last Friday by finishing with a time of 15:18.1, narrowly edging Sky View's Connor Mantz who finished in 15:20.1.
"I just love the atmosphere," said Morton. "Everyone who does this is literally the neatest kids. I could not ask for a better group of people."
A talented singer as well, Morton finished fourth in the 3,200 meters at last year's state track championships.
Morton is undecided on where he'll compete collegiately, but he has received numerous letters of interest from some marquee programs like BYU, Stanford, Oregon, Georgetown and Colorado.
SARAH FEENY, Ogden, cross country: This Ogden senior was superb as always at last week's Murray Invitational.
Feeny ran an impressive time of 17:41.6, a full 15 seconds ahead of the rest of the field.
A runner-up at last year's 3A cross country state meet, Feeny will be the heavy favorite at the 4A meet next month at Sugarhouse Park.
"I feel like I have some pressure, but I also feel like if I run my race, that I've been training to do, I'll be fine," said Feeny, who said she's always had great teammates to train with at Ogden. "It's really helped to have really good friends who are committed to running to train with."
Feeny is coming off a strong track season last spring as she won both the 3,200 and 1,600 meters at the state track meet and finished second in the 800 meters.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- With rookie Dante Exum in starting lineup,...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Gutsy guard: Perseverance has paid off for...
- Wells brings in 2 new coordinators to...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 97
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 59
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 52
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- Morning links: Home stretch of... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26