Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
KRAMER MORTON, Alta, cross country: Defending 5A cross country champion Kramer Morton proved last week that he's going to be tough to dethrone again this year.
The Alta senior won the Murray Invitational last Friday by finishing with a time of 15:18.1, narrowly edging Sky View's Connor Mantz who finished in 15:20.1.
"I just love the atmosphere," said Morton. "Everyone who does this is literally the neatest kids. I could not ask for a better group of people."
A talented singer as well, Morton finished fourth in the 3,200 meters at last year's state track championships.
Morton is undecided on where he'll compete collegiately, but he has received numerous letters of interest from some marquee programs like BYU, Stanford, Oregon, Georgetown and Colorado.
SARAH FEENY, Ogden, cross country: This Ogden senior was superb as always at last week's Murray Invitational.
Feeny ran an impressive time of 17:41.6, a full 15 seconds ahead of the rest of the field.
A runner-up at last year's 3A cross country state meet, Feeny will be the heavy favorite at the 4A meet next month at Sugarhouse Park.
"I feel like I have some pressure, but I also feel like if I run my race, that I've been training to do, I'll be fine," said Feeny, who said she's always had great teammates to train with at Ogden. "It's really helped to have really good friends who are committed to running to train with."
Feeny is coming off a strong track season last spring as she won both the 3,200 and 1,600 meters at the state track meet and finished second in the 800 meters.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Hoffman, Collie or Doughty: Which local...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 107
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 18