Chris Carlson, Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — Southern California hadn't even finished the first half of its home opener before the Coliseum crowd erupted in boos for its inept offense and full-throated chants of "Fire Kiffin!"
Lane Kiffin heard it all night long during a disheartening 10-7 loss to Washington State.
And while the fourth-year coach isn't about to agree with the instructions, he couldn't argue with the sentiment.
"That's not a performance that anybody should have to pay to see," Kiffin said.
USC (1-1, 0-1 Pac-12) was knocked out of the AP Top 25 with an embarrassing offensive performance against the Cougars, who held the Trojans to their fewest total yards (193) and single-game yards passing (54) since 1998.
While USC's defense was dominant, the talent-laden offense was shockingly poor, with two quarterbacks struggling equally.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26