Wrestling is back: Sport wins IOC vote for place in 2020 Olympics
"It's almost like you expected that to happen," former American Olympic gold medalist and coach Dan Gable told The Associated Press. "But we certainly didn't expect what happened in February to happen, and because of that you learn and work through the whole process."
Russian great Alexander Karelin called it a "big result for us and for the new guys who are coming (into the sport)."
"I think we have a great story, great history and Olympic traditions," Karelin said.
For the future, the IOC will consider tweaking the process, possibly juggling events and disciplines to make room for new sports while keeping within the cap of 10,500 athletes.
"I think what will happen is we will take away some of the events from some sports in order to put a couple of new sports in," Norwegian member Gerhard Heiberg said.
Squash and baseball-softball could potentially get another chance to make it onto the 2020 program.
Squash was trying to make the Olympics for the third time. Men's baseball and women's softball merged into a single federation to try to return after being dropped for the 2012 and 2016 Games.
Don Porter, the American co-president of the World Baseball Softball Confederation, choked up and had tears in his eyes as he talked about receiving letters from young girls who were distraught when softball was dropped.
Porter broke down again later when he told reporters: "I feel like I let them down."
AP Sports Writers Stephen Wade and Tales Azzoni in Buenos Aires and Luke Meredith in Des Moines, Iowa, contributed to this report. Follow Stephen Wilson on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevewilsonap
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41