Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAS VEGAS — The Salt Lake Bees wrapped up the Pacific Conference Championship, as they edged the Las Vegas 51s 4-3 on Saturday to take the series 3-1.
The game was tied 2-2 when Tommy Field gave Salt Lake the lead with a solo home run to left field off of Las Vegas starter Aaron Harang.
The Bees added an insurance run in the seventh when Luke Carlin led off with a single to center and advanced to second on a sacrifice by Drew Heid.
With two out, Luis Rodriguez lined a double to left to bring home Carlin to make it 4-2.
Las Vegas opened the eighth inning with back-to-back doubles by Ruben Tejada and Mike Baxter to pull to within one run, but Jeremy Berg retired the next three batters to strand the tying run at third base.
Bees' reliever Daniel Stange walked Dustin Lawley to lead off the ninth.
Juan Centeno sacrificed him to second and he advanced to third on a fly out to right field by Brandon Hicks.
Stange struck out Kirk Nieuwenhuis to send Salt Lake to its fourth PCL Championship Series.
Starter Billy Buckner earned the victory after a rough start in which he gave up a home run to Nieuwenhuis on his first pitch of the game.
Buckner went 6 2/3 innings and allowed two runs on five hits with three walks and two strikeouts.
Field and Rodriguez each had two hits and one RBI to lead the Bees.
The Bees open the PCL title series at Omaha on Tuesday night.
Tickets go on sale Monday at 10 a.m. and are available at the Spring Mobile Ballpark box office, slbees.com with no online fees, or by calling (801) 325-BEES. Tickets will only be sold for games guaranteed to be played.
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 103
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 15
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 11
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7