SALT LAKE CITY — Lynn DeBruin, who worked for The Associated Press covering sports since 2010 and had been a writer with the Rocky Mountain News and the East Valley Tribune, has died. She was 51.
DeBruin died in a Denver hospice early Saturday, said her sister, Linda Luther-Veno, who was present along with friends. DeBruin had been battling cancer.
DeBruin joined the AP in 2010 to cover the Jazz, college athletics and winter sports in Utah. She reported on the surprise resignation of Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan in 2011 after 1,127 wins. She was the lead reporter for the AP when Brigham Young University made its run to the Sweet 16 behind rising star Jimmer Fredette.
Her professional career also included coverage of the World Series, six Super Bowls and golf's majors. She spent 10 years as an NFL beat writer, first in Arizona, then with the Broncos for John Elway's final Super Bowl.
"Lynn was a tenacious journalist who made us all strive to be better, especially as she fought with such courage and strength over the past several months," said Lou Ferrara, AP's managing editor for sports and entertainment. "Our thoughts are with her family and her many friends and colleagues."
Luther-Veno said DeBruin's passions included travel and photography. She also was an avid golfer.
Luther-Veno said memorial services will be held in Denver and in DeBruin's native Pennsylvania.
Along with Luther-Veno, DeBruin is survived by her mother, Mary Luther, and a brother, Stephen Luther.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 45
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30