Johnny Acosta and Celso Borges scored as Costa Rica burst ahead in the first 9 minutes, Joel Campbell added a goal on a late counterattack, and the Ticos beat the visiting United States 3-1 in a World Cup qualifier Friday night at San Jose.
Clint Dempsey, making his 100th international appearance, converted a penalty kick in the 43rd minute for the U.S. and nearly tied the score with a 20-yard shot off a post in the 60th minute.
Avenging a March loss to the U.S. in a Colorado snow storm, Costa Rica ended the Americans' team-record 12-game winning streak.
AROUND THE WORLD: Spain, Germany and Italy won Friday to move to the brink of qualification for next year's World Cup, while Cristiano Ronaldo's first international hat trick kept Portugal on course for the tournament in Brazil.
The Netherlands needed an injury time penalty kick from Robin van Persie for a 2-2 tie at 85th-ranked Estonia, and England moved atop its group with a 4-0 rout of Moldova as Danny Welbeck scored twice following Steven Gerrard's first England goal in three years and Rickie Lambert's second in two games.
Defending world champion Spain won 2-0 at Finland on goals by Jordi Alba and Alvaro Negredo, opening a three-point lead in Group I over France, which tied 0-0 at Georgia.
Germany and Italy would clinch first place in their groups with wins Tuesday. Germany beat Austria 3-0 as Miroslav Klose scored his 68th international goal, tying Gerd Mueller's German record. Italy defeated Bulgaria 1-0 on Alberto Gilardino's 38th-minute goal.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27