Michael Thomas, Associated Press
PROVO — This wasn't exactly the type of start the Texas Longhorns' new fast-paced offense envisioned: Fumbling the football on the first drive and then stalling out the rest of the opening quarter.
Just a minor glitch, though, as the No. 15 Longhorns soon got things revved up in routing New Mexico State 56-7 last weekend as they rolled up a school-record 715 yards of offense. Texas quarterback David Ash led the way by throwing for 343 yards and four touchdowns, along with running for another score.
"Started off slow. Turned the ball over. Didn't look good," Ash said. "Then, we got together and we played like we're capable of. There (were) a lot of points, a lot of yards, we left out on the field."
This weekend, Texas faces a stingy BYU defense that was one of the country's best last season. Led by linebacker Kyle Van Noy, the Cougars held Virginia's offense largely in check during a season-opening loss.
"They pride themselves on being a tough team," said Texas coach Mack Brown, who can tie Woody Hayes for 10th place on the NCAA all-time wins list with a victory Saturday. "I'm challenging our team because I think Brigham Young is as tough as anybody in the country."
One thing's for certain: The Longhorns have BYU's attention.
"We feel like if we just cut down on some of the mistakes and keep executing and do what we need to do, they're going to get tired," running back Jamaal Williams said. "They're going to bow down to our will and we're just going to go out there and do our thing."
AP Sports Writer Jim Vertuno in Austin, Texas, and AP freelancer John Coon in Provo, Utah, contributed.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 37
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25