Racial flames have been fanned by the Trayvon Martin case and the two shocking murders of white victims by black youths. While I recognize that we have not solved racial problems in our country, some groups are attempting for their own ends to make it seem that there is still widespread prejudice in the white community. Some facts from a recent Department of Justice report show some surprising results: Blacks committed 7.5 times more violent inter-racial crimes than whites, even though the black population is only one-seventh the size of the white population.
There is a societal problem that I believe has more to do with the violence than does prejudice. Studies have shown that having a father in the home is critical to a young person's success — less truancy, law-breaking and substance abuse, but more success in school. Before the advent of welfare, the large majority of black families were married couples with children. Now 70 percent of black children grow up without a father. Without the love, example and guidance of a father, and in a culture of government dependence and TV violence, children are much more susceptible to gangs and personal violence. Thus, preservation of the family should be of utmost concern in the national dialog.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Letter: Envision Utah scam
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 45
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 44
- Letter: Human body 41
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 40
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 33
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 23