On Aug. 19, the Deseret News noted a failure to properly attribute sources in a column by Richard Eyre. At the time, we said we would conduct a further review of the incident and our processes.
The Deseret News has completed its analysis of all of the nearly 300 Richard and Linda Eyre columns published in the Deseret News since November 2010. We found additional articles where sentences were not properly attributed to their original source. Those articles are listed below. They are also annotated and corrected online.
The Deseret News demands accuracy in attribution and sourcing. We require columnists to submit articles that are original and appropriately cited. The Eyres have acknowledged the seriousness of these lapses and apologized to those involved. The Deseret News has chosen to pause publication of the Eyres' column for one month. We realize that many of our readers have benefited from the Eyres' voice on family issues and anticipate a return of the Eyres' column.
The Deseret News apologizes to those involved, including its readers. In addition, the Deseret News has reviewed its processes to ensure that proper training and care in editing are provided on an ongoing basis.
Following are columns in which passages were not properly attributed:
This article has been updated to reflect the addition of "All you need is (unconditional) love."
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Children in foster care need this one thing...
- Utahn on 'Biggest Loser' gets another chance...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be... 17
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- Families have become the scapegoat of... 9
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex 9
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the... 9
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere 5
- A community of theater: Utah theater... 2