Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
Q: I’m applying online for disability benefits. What is the difference between the disability application and the disability report? Do I have to complete both?
A: Yes, you will need to complete both when you apply for disability benefits. To receive Social Security disability benefits, you must file a disability application. A disability report provides information about your current physical or mental condition and we need this to process your disability application. You should complete a disability application, a disability report, and an authorization to release medical records to file a claim for disability benefits. To learn more, and to apply online, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability.
Q: How do I know if I have worked long enough - to qualify for Social Security disability benefits?
A: You must have worked long enough — and recently enough — under Social Security to qualify for disability benefits. Social Security work credits are based on your total yearly wages or self-employment income. You can earn up to four credits each year. The amount needed for a credit changes from year to year. In 2013, for example, you earn one credit for each $1,160 of wages or self-employment income. When you have earned $4,640, you've earned your four credits for the year. The number of work credits you need to qualify for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which you earned in the last 10 years, ending with the year you become disabled. However, younger workers may qualify with fewer credits. To learn more, see our Disability Planner at www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify3.htm.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Closet clutter: How having fewer,...
- Sneaky tricks restaurants use to make you...
- Most American high schoolers don't know how...
- 15 best paid jobs for recent graduates
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Consumers are padding their checking accounts
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 7
- Weird ways our brains control our money... 3
- Consumers are padding their checking... 2
- Optimism on the rise for job seekers 2
- Teen drivers hike Utah car insurance 89... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- Before you head off on your vacation,... 2