Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
Q: I’m applying online for disability benefits. What is the difference between the disability application and the disability report? Do I have to complete both?
A: Yes, you will need to complete both when you apply for disability benefits. To receive Social Security disability benefits, you must file a disability application. A disability report provides information about your current physical or mental condition and we need this to process your disability application. You should complete a disability application, a disability report, and an authorization to release medical records to file a claim for disability benefits. To learn more, and to apply online, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability.
Q: How do I know if I have worked long enough - to qualify for Social Security disability benefits?
A: You must have worked long enough — and recently enough — under Social Security to qualify for disability benefits. Social Security work credits are based on your total yearly wages or self-employment income. You can earn up to four credits each year. The amount needed for a credit changes from year to year. In 2013, for example, you earn one credit for each $1,160 of wages or self-employment income. When you have earned $4,640, you've earned your four credits for the year. The number of work credits you need to qualify for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which you earned in the last 10 years, ending with the year you become disabled. However, younger workers may qualify with fewer credits. To learn more, see our Disability Planner at www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify3.htm.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- The 25 most educated cities in America: Where...
- Startup hopes to help children with autism in...
- There's more to why Americans don't save than...
- How to hack your budget and cut costs —...
- Why China's market slump is good news for...
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from Salt Lake...
- Balancing act: Survey: Many people work...
- What seekers of financial advice can learn...
- Utahns want diverse housing,... 9
- US stocks extend losses as early rally... 3
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from... 3
- Global markets rebound as China cuts... 2
- Learning money management skills... 2
- Colombians flee homes in Venezuela amid... 1
- Forum aims to educate women on money... 1
- What seekers of financial advice can... 1