Report cards released for Utah schools; 56 percent earn either A or B grades
Nick Geranios, Associated Press
Utah schools received their report cards Tuesday morning with the release of new school grades based on proficiency in language arts, mathematics and science, and the growth students demonstrated year over year on end-of-level testing.
The grades were given in compliance with a law enacted by the Utah Legislature in 2011 and modified in 2013.
According to the initial data release, 56 percent of Utah schools earned either an A or a B grade, with 11 percent earning an A grade, 45 percent earning a B grade, 30 percent earning a C grade, 10 percent earning a D grade and 4 percent earning an F.
All schools can earn up to 300 points for having students achieve proficiency in language arts, math and science. The schools can earn another 300 points by showing growth for all students and those who are below proficient. The breakdown for grades is as follows:
A: Between 80 and 100 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth (480-600 points)
B: Between 70 and 79 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth
C: Between 60 and 69 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth
D: Between 50 and 59 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth
F: 49 percent or less
High school grades were given on a 750-point scale as the schools stood to earn up to an additional 150 points based on graduation rates.
Seven Utah high schools received A grades, 60 received B grades, 45 received C grades, 15 received D grades and 16 received F grades.
Grades for elementary, middle and jr. high schools were also released. The grades for individual schools can be found on the Utah State Office of Education website.
Look for more information on the school grades and what they mean for Utah schools on deseretnews.com later today.
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- Utah girl dances solo 9 months after losing...
- Monarchs announce new stadium proposal in...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Water main break, sinkhole could delay...
- Utah Senate narrowly endorses medical...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 52
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 38
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside... 22
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 15