Report cards released for Utah schools; 56 percent earn either A or B grades
Nick Geranios, Associated Press
Utah schools received their report cards Tuesday morning with the release of new school grades based on proficiency in language arts, mathematics and science, and the growth students demonstrated year over year on end-of-level testing.
The grades were given in compliance with a law enacted by the Utah Legislature in 2011 and modified in 2013.
According to the initial data release, 56 percent of Utah schools earned either an A or a B grade, with 11 percent earning an A grade, 45 percent earning a B grade, 30 percent earning a C grade, 10 percent earning a D grade and 4 percent earning an F.
All schools can earn up to 300 points for having students achieve proficiency in language arts, math and science. The schools can earn another 300 points by showing growth for all students and those who are below proficient. The breakdown for grades is as follows:
A: Between 80 and 100 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth (480-600 points)
B: Between 70 and 79 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth
C: Between 60 and 69 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth
D: Between 50 and 59 percent of the total points for proficiency and growth
F: 49 percent or less
High school grades were given on a 750-point scale as the schools stood to earn up to an additional 150 points based on graduation rates.
Seven Utah high schools received A grades, 60 received B grades, 45 received C grades, 15 received D grades and 16 received F grades.
Grades for elementary, middle and jr. high schools were also released. The grades for individual schools can be found on the Utah State Office of Education website.
Look for more information on the school grades and what they mean for Utah schools on deseretnews.com later today.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14