I agree with all the writers who are so shocked and saddened by the performance of Miley Cyrus at the Aug. 25 MTV Awards. I did not see it, but I have heard plenty about it. I also know that in a couple of years it will not be a big deal, and we will all just get used to it and accept it; we will call it "art," or "just a performance." We have seen this over and over again, and we soon embrace what was once disgusting to us.
We are calling on the government to pass a law, change the ratings system, do something, when the only answer to this and many other questions in our society is: Stop watching. Stop paying for soft porn on TV and in the movies. The only way we will ever get the attention of people in these industries is if we hit them in their pocketbooks.
North Salt Lake
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- Letter: Erratic protests
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Identifying...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Lagoon animals
- My view: Moving the prison would present...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 67
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 46
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23