I agree with all the writers who are so shocked and saddened by the performance of Miley Cyrus at the Aug. 25 MTV Awards. I did not see it, but I have heard plenty about it. I also know that in a couple of years it will not be a big deal, and we will all just get used to it and accept it; we will call it "art," or "just a performance." We have seen this over and over again, and we soon embrace what was once disgusting to us.
We are calling on the government to pass a law, change the ratings system, do something, when the only answer to this and many other questions in our society is: Stop watching. Stop paying for soft porn on TV and in the movies. The only way we will ever get the attention of people in these industries is if we hit them in their pocketbooks.
North Salt Lake
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 46
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 33