KODY WILSTEAD, Pine View, football: The Panthers are off to a 2-0 start this season, and it's easy to see why based on the production of their junior quarterback.
Through two games, Wilstead has been very productive, passing for 721 yards and eight touchdowns.
Last week against Orem, Wilstead completed 19 of 34 passes for 310 yards and five TDs in a 42-14 win. The week before against Judge, the junior threw for 411 yards.
Wilstead missed a month last season with an ankle injury, and never realized his full potential. He's realizing that potential now, and the Panthers are going to be a factor in the 3AA South region all year as a result.
JACEY SAUNDERS, Herriman, volleyball: Jacey Saunders doesn't have to give fiery speeches to inspire her teammates. The senior setter simply has to step onto the court and play volleyball.
"I think the girls take from her that competitiveness," said Herriman head coach Bryan Nicholson. "She can kind of get them on her back when she needs them to get through streaks. It's just her competitive edge. She has it; she wants to win, and she works really hard. That kind of translates to the rest of the team. It's kind of contagious."
The honor student is a three-year starter who spent the summer improving her game. She refined her jump sets and jump serves, and her effort has already paid off as the team is off to an 11-0 start.
"As far helping the team, she can put a ball up just about anywhere and make it playable," Nicholson said. "Her speed, her quickness, she is kind of like a little floor general."
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at email@example.com
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 73
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 22
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 14
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8