KODY WILSTEAD, Pine View, football: The Panthers are off to a 2-0 start this season, and it's easy to see why based on the production of their junior quarterback.
Through two games, Wilstead has been very productive, passing for 721 yards and eight touchdowns.
Last week against Orem, Wilstead completed 19 of 34 passes for 310 yards and five TDs in a 42-14 win. The week before against Judge, the junior threw for 411 yards.
Wilstead missed a month last season with an ankle injury, and never realized his full potential. He's realizing that potential now, and the Panthers are going to be a factor in the 3AA South region all year as a result.
JACEY SAUNDERS, Herriman, volleyball: Jacey Saunders doesn't have to give fiery speeches to inspire her teammates. The senior setter simply has to step onto the court and play volleyball.
"I think the girls take from her that competitiveness," said Herriman head coach Bryan Nicholson. "She can kind of get them on her back when she needs them to get through streaks. It's just her competitive edge. She has it; she wants to win, and she works really hard. That kind of translates to the rest of the team. It's kind of contagious."
The honor student is a three-year starter who spent the summer improving her game. She refined her jump sets and jump serves, and her effort has already paid off as the team is off to an 11-0 start.
"As far helping the team, she can put a ball up just about anywhere and make it playable," Nicholson said. "Her speed, her quickness, she is kind of like a little floor general."
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at email@example.com
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Peavler: 3 is a magic number for BYU after...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 112
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 72
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 56
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45