KODY WILSTEAD, Pine View, football: The Panthers are off to a 2-0 start this season, and it's easy to see why based on the production of their junior quarterback.
Through two games, Wilstead has been very productive, passing for 721 yards and eight touchdowns.
Last week against Orem, Wilstead completed 19 of 34 passes for 310 yards and five TDs in a 42-14 win. The week before against Judge, the junior threw for 411 yards.
Wilstead missed a month last season with an ankle injury, and never realized his full potential. He's realizing that potential now, and the Panthers are going to be a factor in the 3AA South region all year as a result.
JACEY SAUNDERS, Herriman, volleyball: Jacey Saunders doesn't have to give fiery speeches to inspire her teammates. The senior setter simply has to step onto the court and play volleyball.
"I think the girls take from her that competitiveness," said Herriman head coach Bryan Nicholson. "She can kind of get them on her back when she needs them to get through streaks. It's just her competitive edge. She has it; she wants to win, and she works really hard. That kind of translates to the rest of the team. It's kind of contagious."
The honor student is a three-year starter who spent the summer improving her game. She refined her jump sets and jump serves, and her effort has already paid off as the team is off to an 11-0 start.
"As far helping the team, she can put a ball up just about anywhere and make it playable," Nicholson said. "Her speed, her quickness, she is kind of like a little floor general."
To nominate a prep athlete of the week, contact prep editor James Edward at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28