Johnny Manziel, FCS upsets among best and worst of NCAA football Week 1
Both winners have plenty of pedigree. North Dakota State is now 7-3 against FBS opponents since it became an FCS team 10 years ago and is the two-time defending FCS national champion. The last team not named North Dakota State to win that title was Eastern Washington in 2010.
These victories may not get quite the attention of Appalachian State's win over Michigan in 2007, but they are further proof that quality FCS teams can compete one level above. The problem comes when teams like Elon and Nicholls State, who are not good teams at their own level, try to compete up so they can collect a paycheck at the physical and emotional expense of their players.
- Virginia's comeback 19-16 win over Brigham Young. The Cavaliers' win was significant for several reasons: Coming off a step-back 4-8 season a year ago, Coach Mike London shook up his coaching staff to try to get the program turned back in the direction it had been going in his first two seasons. BYU is hardly a power, but it is a solid team year in and year out, and U-Va. had to come back late in the fourth quarter — aided by a critical turnover — to win the game.
Of course, the Cavaliers now go way up in class when they host Oregon this coming weekend. The good news is they then get to play in the ACC — which, Clemson's victory aside — probably doesn't have anyone in its expanded ranks as good as the Ducks.
- And if you need one last game to top off the holiday weekend, there's Florida State-Pittsburgh on Monday night. Nothing like two longtime, traditional ACC rivals facing off in prime time to cap the first week of a new season.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25