TACOMA, Wash. — For the first time since 2008, the Salt Lake Bees are Pacific Northern Division Champions, as they downed the Tacoma Rainiers 8-4 on Thursday night.
The Bees trailed 3-1 in the fourth when Roberto Lopez tied the game with a two-out, two-run double.
Tommy Field put the Bees in front to stay, as he drilled the first pitch of the sixth inning into the left field bullpen.
Salt Lake would break the game open with four runs in the seventh inning.
Drew Heid started the scoring with an RBI double and he would later score on a throwing error by Tacoma catcher Mike Zunino.
Later, Efren Navarro would drive in a run with a double to left and Andy Marte capped off the inning with an RBI single to left.
Dontrelle Willis (2-1) picked up the win, as he went 22/3 innings and allowed just one unearned run on three hits with two walks and no strikeouts.
Jeremy Berg retired the final seven Tacoma batters, including Ji-Man Choi to end the game and record his first save of the season.
Marte led the Bees by going 4-for-4 with a home run and two runs batted in.
Heid and Navarro each added two hits and one RBI, while Lopez added one hit and two RBIs.
The Bees will host either Las Vegas or Sacramento in the first two games of the Pacific Conference Championship series on Wednesday and Thursday after they wrap up the regular season this weekend versus Reno.
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37