TACOMA, Wash. — For the first time since 2008, the Salt Lake Bees are Pacific Northern Division Champions, as they downed the Tacoma Rainiers 8-4 on Thursday night.
The Bees trailed 3-1 in the fourth when Roberto Lopez tied the game with a two-out, two-run double.
Tommy Field put the Bees in front to stay, as he drilled the first pitch of the sixth inning into the left field bullpen.
Salt Lake would break the game open with four runs in the seventh inning.
Drew Heid started the scoring with an RBI double and he would later score on a throwing error by Tacoma catcher Mike Zunino.
Later, Efren Navarro would drive in a run with a double to left and Andy Marte capped off the inning with an RBI single to left.
Dontrelle Willis (2-1) picked up the win, as he went 22/3 innings and allowed just one unearned run on three hits with two walks and no strikeouts.
Jeremy Berg retired the final seven Tacoma batters, including Ji-Man Choi to end the game and record his first save of the season.
Marte led the Bees by going 4-for-4 with a home run and two runs batted in.
Heid and Navarro each added two hits and one RBI, while Lopez added one hit and two RBIs.
The Bees will host either Las Vegas or Sacramento in the first two games of the Pacific Conference Championship series on Wednesday and Thursday after they wrap up the regular season this weekend versus Reno.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Kyle Collinsworth already...
- BYU football: Cougars generally happy with...
- Snakebit BYU must deal once again with major...
- How will NCAA selection committee evaluate...
- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy says he discovered...
- BYU's NCAA tournament fate: 'Anything could...
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars score straight...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 58
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a... 26