MOBILE, Ala. — Colton Cook kicked a 22-yard field goal as time expired to lift Southern Utah to a 22-21 comeback win over South Alabama on Thursday night.
After scoring the first 10 points of the game the Thunderbirds were outscored 21-3 and found themselves down 21-13 early in the fourth quarter but the Thunderbirds rallied, pulling within 21-19 after Tommy Collet Jr. intercepted a pass at the 43-yard line to set up a drive that culminated when Aaron Cantu found Anthony Norris on a 2-yard pass with 6:13 to play.
It was the first touchdown pass at SUU for Cantu and the first TD reception for Norris.
SUU's two-point conversion attempt failed, leaving the T-Birds short but still within striking distance.
After holding the Jaguars, the T-Birds had a near-miscue work in their favor as Griff McNabb was late getting onto the field on second and 13. The Jaguar defense didn't see McNabb, but Cantu did and hit him for a 16-yard gain that put the ball on the USA 27-yard line.
McNabb's play wasn't designed, SUU coach Ed Lamb noted. "It wasn't a trick play, it was just a read. (McNabb) just came in late — we had a substitution issue — it wasn't intentional deception even though it did deceive them."
The Thunderbirds ran the ball down to the 11, setting Cook up for the game-winner.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Rookie Rodney Hood wins award, Jazz lose...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 24
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16