MOBILE, Ala. — Colton Cook kicked a 22-yard field goal as time expired to lift Southern Utah to a 22-21 comeback win over South Alabama on Thursday night.
After scoring the first 10 points of the game the Thunderbirds were outscored 21-3 and found themselves down 21-13 early in the fourth quarter but the Thunderbirds rallied, pulling within 21-19 after Tommy Collet Jr. intercepted a pass at the 43-yard line to set up a drive that culminated when Aaron Cantu found Anthony Norris on a 2-yard pass with 6:13 to play.
It was the first touchdown pass at SUU for Cantu and the first TD reception for Norris.
SUU's two-point conversion attempt failed, leaving the T-Birds short but still within striking distance.
After holding the Jaguars, the T-Birds had a near-miscue work in their favor as Griff McNabb was late getting onto the field on second and 13. The Jaguar defense didn't see McNabb, but Cantu did and hit him for a 16-yard gain that put the ball on the USA 27-yard line.
McNabb's play wasn't designed, SUU coach Ed Lamb noted. "It wasn't a trick play, it was just a read. (McNabb) just came in late — we had a substitution issue — it wasn't intentional deception even though it did deceive them."
The Thunderbirds ran the ball down to the 11, setting Cook up for the game-winner.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 17
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7