MOBILE, Ala. — Colton Cook kicked a 22-yard field goal as time expired to lift Southern Utah to a 22-21 comeback win over South Alabama on Thursday night.
After scoring the first 10 points of the game the Thunderbirds were outscored 21-3 and found themselves down 21-13 early in the fourth quarter but the Thunderbirds rallied, pulling within 21-19 after Tommy Collet Jr. intercepted a pass at the 43-yard line to set up a drive that culminated when Aaron Cantu found Anthony Norris on a 2-yard pass with 6:13 to play.
It was the first touchdown pass at SUU for Cantu and the first TD reception for Norris.
SUU's two-point conversion attempt failed, leaving the T-Birds short but still within striking distance.
After holding the Jaguars, the T-Birds had a near-miscue work in their favor as Griff McNabb was late getting onto the field on second and 13. The Jaguar defense didn't see McNabb, but Cantu did and hit him for a 16-yard gain that put the ball on the USA 27-yard line.
McNabb's play wasn't designed, SUU coach Ed Lamb noted. "It wasn't a trick play, it was just a read. (McNabb) just came in late — we had a substitution issue — it wasn't intentional deception even though it did deceive them."
The Thunderbirds ran the ball down to the 11, setting Cook up for the game-winner.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22