MOBILE, Ala. — Colton Cook kicked a 22-yard field goal as time expired to lift Southern Utah to a 22-21 comeback win over South Alabama on Thursday night.
After scoring the first 10 points of the game the Thunderbirds were outscored 21-3 and found themselves down 21-13 early in the fourth quarter but the Thunderbirds rallied, pulling within 21-19 after Tommy Collet Jr. intercepted a pass at the 43-yard line to set up a drive that culminated when Aaron Cantu found Anthony Norris on a 2-yard pass with 6:13 to play.
It was the first touchdown pass at SUU for Cantu and the first TD reception for Norris.
SUU's two-point conversion attempt failed, leaving the T-Birds short but still within striking distance.
After holding the Jaguars, the T-Birds had a near-miscue work in their favor as Griff McNabb was late getting onto the field on second and 13. The Jaguar defense didn't see McNabb, but Cantu did and hit him for a 16-yard gain that put the ball on the USA 27-yard line.
McNabb's play wasn't designed, SUU coach Ed Lamb noted. "It wasn't a trick play, it was just a read. (McNabb) just came in late — we had a substitution issue — it wasn't intentional deception even though it did deceive them."
The Thunderbirds ran the ball down to the 11, setting Cook up for the game-winner.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33