The Cleveland Indians placed outfielder Ryan Raburn on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday because of a strained left Achilles.
The move Wednesday is retroactive to Aug. 19.
"We were trying not to," manager Terry Francona said before the Indians, battling for an AL wild-card spot, faced the first-place Atlanta Braves.
Raburn had missed 10 of the previous 11 games because of soreness in his left foot. He was hitting .270 with 15 homers and 41 RBIs in 70 games.
The Indians purchased the contract of former BYU outfielder Matt Carson from Triple-A Columbus, where he was hitting .252 with 14 homers and 49 RBIs.
BALENTIEN CLOSING ON JAPAN RECORD: Former major leaguer Wladimir Balentien hit a solo home run Wednesday to move within four of tying Japanese baseball's season record of 55. Balentien's Yakult Swallows have 32 games remaining in the regular season for him to equal the record set by Sadaharu Oh in 1964 and matched by ex-major leaguers Tuffy Rhodes in 2001 and Alex Cabrera in 2002.
PIRATES CLOSER NEARING RETURN: Pittsburgh Pirates All-Star closer Jason Grilli's comeback from a right arm injury is picking up speed. Grilli threw 25 pain-free pitches during a simulated game on Wednesday, a major step toward his return from an injury that blunted the momentum of a career year. The 36-year-old has been on the disabled list since straining the right flexor tendon in his pitching arm during a 6-5 victory over Washington on July 22. Barring a setback, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle expects Grilli to make rehabilitation appearance for Double-A Altoona on Saturday.
UGGLA RETURNS AFTER LASIK: The Atlanta Braves hope Dan Uggla's improved vision will give the offense a much-needed boost. Uggla was activated from the disabled list and in the lineup Wednesday night against the Cleveland Indians. The move came two weeks after the second baseman underwent Lasik eye surgery.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 83
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 73
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27