JESSE MCMULLIN, Beaver, football: With his team trailing Canyon View 13-0 after the first quarter last week, Beaver senior Jesse McMullin didn't panic.
The result was a 45-13 victory for the Beavers and an impressive season-opening performance from McMullin.
McMullin finished the game with 24 carries, 220 yards and three touchdowns, which covered distances of 26, 6 and 21 yards.
Through one week, the Deseret News second team all-stater from a year ago is poised for a breakout season.
In 2013, McMullin led Beaver to the 2A quarterfinals by rushing for 1,061 yards and 14 TDs. The three-sport athlete also plays basketball and baseball for Beaver High School.
HOLLY DAUGIRDA, Skyline, soccer: This Skyline sophomore is quickly making a name for herself.
After scoring five goals and registering 10 assists in an impressive freshman year for the 4A semifinalist a year ago, Daugirda is off to a scintillating start in 2013 with eight goals in just five games.
Thanks in large part to the finishing of Daugirda, No. 2 Skyline is off to a 5-0 start this season and is once again one of the teams to beat in 4A.
The forward is one of the top sophomores in the country, as she was recognized as on of the top 150 freshmen in the country by Top Drawer soccer.
Daugirda also maintains a 4.0 GPA.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0