JESSE MCMULLIN, Beaver, football: With his team trailing Canyon View 13-0 after the first quarter last week, Beaver senior Jesse McMullin didn't panic.
The result was a 45-13 victory for the Beavers and an impressive season-opening performance from McMullin.
McMullin finished the game with 24 carries, 220 yards and three touchdowns, which covered distances of 26, 6 and 21 yards.
Through one week, the Deseret News second team all-stater from a year ago is poised for a breakout season.
In 2013, McMullin led Beaver to the 2A quarterfinals by rushing for 1,061 yards and 14 TDs. The three-sport athlete also plays basketball and baseball for Beaver High School.
HOLLY DAUGIRDA, Skyline, soccer: This Skyline sophomore is quickly making a name for herself.
After scoring five goals and registering 10 assists in an impressive freshman year for the 4A semifinalist a year ago, Daugirda is off to a scintillating start in 2013 with eight goals in just five games.
Thanks in large part to the finishing of Daugirda, No. 2 Skyline is off to a 5-0 start this season and is once again one of the teams to beat in 4A.
The forward is one of the top sophomores in the country, as she was recognized as on of the top 150 freshmen in the country by Top Drawer soccer.
Daugirda also maintains a 4.0 GPA.
- Ranking the best running backs in University...
- Elder Perry the sports fan
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei...
- Sisterly Love: Brynlee Lindsey jeopardizing...
- Ranking the best power forwards in the NBA...
- Ex-Olympus High star Nick Paulos to get Jazz...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 148
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 40
- Several early season game times set for... 32
- Morning links: Reflecting on Andrei... 29
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 14
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout... 14