Social Security Q&A: Supplemental Security Income
Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
Q: I pay my monthly premium directly to my Medicare prescription drug plan provider. Why can’t I also pay my income-related monthly adjustment amount directly to my Medicare prescription drug plan provider?
A: By law, we must deduct your income-related monthly adjustment amount from your Social Security payments. If the amount you owe is more than the amount of your payment, or you don't get monthly payments, you will get a separate bill from another federal agency, such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services or the Railroad Retirement Board. Read our publication, Medicare Premiums: Rules for Higher-Income Beneficiaries, for an idea of what you can expect to pay. You’ll find it at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
Q: I am applying for Extra Help with prescription drug costs. Can state agencies help with my Medicare costs?
A: Yes. When you file your application for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug costs, you also can start your application process for the Medicare Savings Programs — state programs that provide help with other Medicare costs. When you apply for Extra Help, Social Security will send information to your state, unless you tell us not to on the application. Your state will contact you to help you apply for a Medicare Savings Program. Learn more about how Social Security can provide Extra Help with your Medicare prescription drug costs by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov/prescriptionhelp.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs and...
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement
- Insurance agents feeling left out of "Obamacare"
- Most US workers unprepared to meet retirement...
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care of mom...
- Black Friday's biggest sellers
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can diminish...
- Are extended warranties on gadgets worth the...
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 7
- 'Caregiving' it all: When taking care... 5
- Sherry Young: Credit card debt can... 2
- 5 ways to prevent an unhappy retirement 2
- European Union fines global banks $2.3... 1