Social Security Q&A: Supplemental Security Income
Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
Q: I pay my monthly premium directly to my Medicare prescription drug plan provider. Why can’t I also pay my income-related monthly adjustment amount directly to my Medicare prescription drug plan provider?
A: By law, we must deduct your income-related monthly adjustment amount from your Social Security payments. If the amount you owe is more than the amount of your payment, or you don't get monthly payments, you will get a separate bill from another federal agency, such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services or the Railroad Retirement Board. Read our publication, Medicare Premiums: Rules for Higher-Income Beneficiaries, for an idea of what you can expect to pay. You’ll find it at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
Q: I am applying for Extra Help with prescription drug costs. Can state agencies help with my Medicare costs?
A: Yes. When you file your application for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug costs, you also can start your application process for the Medicare Savings Programs — state programs that provide help with other Medicare costs. When you apply for Extra Help, Social Security will send information to your state, unless you tell us not to on the application. Your state will contact you to help you apply for a Medicare Savings Program. Learn more about how Social Security can provide Extra Help with your Medicare prescription drug costs by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov/prescriptionhelp.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- A Closer Look: Your (online) life after death
- The market power of pumpkin spice
- Balancing act: Sometimes a 'serious' office...
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- These are America's 10 poorest congressmen 2
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- Utah job forecast better than most states 2
- Save money by replacing appliances that... 1
- Retail sales are up since last month 1