Social Security Q&A: Supplemental Security Income
Patrick Semansky, Associated Press
Q: I pay my monthly premium directly to my Medicare prescription drug plan provider. Why can’t I also pay my income-related monthly adjustment amount directly to my Medicare prescription drug plan provider?
A: By law, we must deduct your income-related monthly adjustment amount from your Social Security payments. If the amount you owe is more than the amount of your payment, or you don't get monthly payments, you will get a separate bill from another federal agency, such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services or the Railroad Retirement Board. Read our publication, Medicare Premiums: Rules for Higher-Income Beneficiaries, for an idea of what you can expect to pay. You’ll find it at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.
Q: I am applying for Extra Help with prescription drug costs. Can state agencies help with my Medicare costs?
A: Yes. When you file your application for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug costs, you also can start your application process for the Medicare Savings Programs — state programs that provide help with other Medicare costs. When you apply for Extra Help, Social Security will send information to your state, unless you tell us not to on the application. Your state will contact you to help you apply for a Medicare Savings Program. Learn more about how Social Security can provide Extra Help with your Medicare prescription drug costs by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov/prescriptionhelp.
(This column was prepared by the Social Security Administration. For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at 800-772-1213. For more information, visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov. )
© 2013, McClatchy-Tribune News Service
Distributed by MCT Information Services
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for People Who Have...
- 10 great gift ideas for people who have...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop to...
- Balancing act: How connected is too connected...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Randy Shumway: Why so early? Holiday spending...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure... 81
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 8
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- What do the new jobs numbers mean? 7
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop... 6