This last week, Jerry the carriage horse was struck down in the middle of the day downtown — with what was perceived to be colic. It was pushing 100 degrees outside, so the real reason for his collapse is disputable. Nonetheless, I am of strong belief that horses do not belong in the downtown area.
When horses and huge carriages are mixed with cars, taxis, buses, pedestrians, bikes and emergency vehicles — fire trucks, ambulances and police cars — they are a recipe for disaster. Not to mention this animal is forced to breathe in car fumes all day in the hot sun. And for what? Carriage horse rides downtown are from another century. The horses are exploited for profit and forced to live and work a very grueling existence in modern day Salt Lake — all for profit and for a relatively few number of tourists who are attracted to them.
I am a former carriage driver. I witnessed many abuses and injuries over the years, for none ever saw a pasture. Their veterinary care was minimal. It was so dangerous — I cannot tell you how many near misses I had with cars.
Although I worked in Chicago, this can happen in Salt Lake City, too. Even if they are a responsible company, these horses just do not belong in an urban setting. There have been too many accidents across the country where both horses and people have been seriously injured and some in which horses have died. Let's not have this happen to Jerry.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 18
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14