"Darrin always tells us that nothing good happens for the punt team on a re-kick, and we made them pay," Tate said. "Everybody blocked it perfectly, and all I had to do was find the hole and shoot through it. Nobody really had a good shot at me."
It was only the second time a punt hit the boards that hang 90 feet above the field. The only other time it happened was in the very first preseason game there in August 2009, when Tennessee's A.J. Trapasso hit the board.
Dalton was 12 of 16 passes for 113 yards and an interception. Pro Bowl receiver A.J. Green, who missed the first two preseason games because of a bruised left knee sustained during the first training camp workout, had three catches for 42 yards.
"I felt good. I felt 100 percent," said Green, who had a nifty catch in the end zone on a fade from Dalton, though the receiver's second hell came down just out of bounds. "It's great to be back out there. It seemed like a long time since I got hurt, but I knew I'd be back in plenty of time."
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34