I noticed the Utah Population and Environment Coalition billboard on 7200 South and Airport Road and found the "It's OK to plan" slogan insulting. It appears UPEC looks at the community at large as those who are ignorant about various birth control methods and are just popping out babies because they are religious zombies. The many couples I know have planned to have the number of children they have, using birth control and taking into consideration their financial and mental well-being and that of their children.
That being the case, I think it is instructive to examine why UPEC has created their Small Families initiative, and it isn't to make sure children get enough attention from their parents. The agenda seems pretty plain. They'll encourage this generation to only have two kids, the next generation to only have one, and then eventually they'll have the pristine, practically people-free Earth they dream of. Why the push for population control? The total fertility rate in the U.S. as of a couple years ago was estimated at 1.89 children per woman, which is below the replacement fertility rate. That's not good enough, I guess. To save the environment, we need to decrease the population.
Perhaps UPEC could come up with a less condescending slogan. Or maybe they could just come right out and tell us their end game since it is pretty obvious anyway.
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 51
- Is it time for our first woman president? 47
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from... 20
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- Jay Evensen: Drought, political insults... 10