I noticed the Utah Population and Environment Coalition billboard on 7200 South and Airport Road and found the "It's OK to plan" slogan insulting. It appears UPEC looks at the community at large as those who are ignorant about various birth control methods and are just popping out babies because they are religious zombies. The many couples I know have planned to have the number of children they have, using birth control and taking into consideration their financial and mental well-being and that of their children.
That being the case, I think it is instructive to examine why UPEC has created their Small Families initiative, and it isn't to make sure children get enough attention from their parents. The agenda seems pretty plain. They'll encourage this generation to only have two kids, the next generation to only have one, and then eventually they'll have the pristine, practically people-free Earth they dream of. Why the push for population control? The total fertility rate in the U.S. as of a couple years ago was estimated at 1.89 children per woman, which is below the replacement fertility rate. That's not good enough, I guess. To save the environment, we need to decrease the population.
Perhaps UPEC could come up with a less condescending slogan. Or maybe they could just come right out and tell us their end game since it is pretty obvious anyway.
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to help...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Letter: More Lehi gridlock?
- Letter: Draper real estate
- My view: Obama has you cornered with K-12...
- Five principles to help guide public... 111
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 78
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 65
- Letter: Human body 41
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 34
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 32
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 26
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 18