I noticed the Utah Population and Environment Coalition billboard on 7200 South and Airport Road and found the "It's OK to plan" slogan insulting. It appears UPEC looks at the community at large as those who are ignorant about various birth control methods and are just popping out babies because they are religious zombies. The many couples I know have planned to have the number of children they have, using birth control and taking into consideration their financial and mental well-being and that of their children.
That being the case, I think it is instructive to examine why UPEC has created their Small Families initiative, and it isn't to make sure children get enough attention from their parents. The agenda seems pretty plain. They'll encourage this generation to only have two kids, the next generation to only have one, and then eventually they'll have the pristine, practically people-free Earth they dream of. Why the push for population control? The total fertility rate in the U.S. as of a couple years ago was estimated at 1.89 children per woman, which is below the replacement fertility rate. That's not good enough, I guess. To save the environment, we need to decrease the population.
Perhaps UPEC could come up with a less condescending slogan. Or maybe they could just come right out and tell us their end game since it is pretty obvious anyway.
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- This year's most popular editorials
- My view: We deserve better than current...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 64
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28
- Letter: Police not the problem 24
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation... 22
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move... 20