Scott R. Galvin, Associated Press
An Ohio hospital is fighting to force a 10-year-old Amish girl with leukemia to resume chemotherapy after her parents decided to stop the treatments.
Akron Children's Hospital is appealing a judge's decision that blocked an attorney who's also a registered nurse from taking over limited guardianship and making medical decisions for the girl.
The hospital believes the girl will die without chemotherapy and is morally and legally obligated to make sure she receives proper care, said Robert McGregor, the hospital's chief medical officer.
"We really have to advocate for what we believe is in the best interest of the child," he said Friday.
The parents initially allowed chemotherapy treatment in May but stopped treatment in June. The parents said the effects on their daughter were horrible and that they were now relying on natural medicines, such as herbs and vitamins, The Medina Gazette reported.
The girl told a probate and juvenile judge that she didn't want chemotherapy because it made feel ill, can damage her organs and make her infertile, the newspaper said.
Medina County Probate and Juvenile Judge John Lohn said he could only transfer guardianship if the parents were found unfit.
"The court cannot deprive these parents of their right to make medical decisions for their daughter, because there is not a scintilla of evidence showing the parents are unfit," Lohn wrote in a ruling issued on July 31.
An injunction, however, was issued in mid-August that ordered the family to resume treatment immediately until the issue was resolved. The hospital said the family only has visited once since then.
McGregor said the girl's illness — lymphoblastic lymphoma — is an aggressive form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma and is very curable if she continues treatment.
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- 2 teens in homeless camp killings to be tried...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Democratic race down to just two: Clinton,...
- Manhattan crane topples into street killing...
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and Cruz...
- Earth, Wind & Fire founder Maurice White dead...
- This week in history: John C. Frémont is...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 25
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 11
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10