Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
Age matters for CNN's Best Places to Live top 25 youngest cities, and Utah finishes first, with Eagle Mountain claiming the No. 1 spot and three other cities making the list — more than for any other state.
The CNN ranking is taken from 2013 census data projections, and only towns from the Best Places database with populations of 10,000 to 50,000 were included.
According to the rankings, Eagle Mountain — with its population of 23,070 and a median age of 19.9 — is the youngest city from the Best Places database, just edging out Durham, N.H., which has a median age of 20.3.
Highland came in No. 11, with a median age of 22.4, while Saratoga Springs finished 12th and Cedar Hills finished 15th. The median age in Saratoga Springs is 22.6 years old, and the median age in Cedar Hills is 23.2 years old.
Data from the 2010 census showed that 48.2 percent of Eagle Mountain residents were under 18 years old at the time, while 18.2 percent were under 5 years old. Saratoga Springs, the next closest Utah city to make CNN's youngest cities list, had 46.9 percent of residents under 18 years old in 2010, and 17.2 percent under 5 years old.
Three cities from both Ohio and Michigan made the list, as did individual cities in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maryland, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Washington, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, Texas and South Dakota.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12