Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
Age matters for CNN's Best Places to Live top 25 youngest cities, and Utah finishes first, with Eagle Mountain claiming the No. 1 spot and three other cities making the list — more than for any other state.
The CNN ranking is taken from 2013 census data projections, and only towns from the Best Places database with populations of 10,000 to 50,000 were included.
According to the rankings, Eagle Mountain — with its population of 23,070 and a median age of 19.9 — is the youngest city from the Best Places database, just edging out Durham, N.H., which has a median age of 20.3.
Highland came in No. 11, with a median age of 22.4, while Saratoga Springs finished 12th and Cedar Hills finished 15th. The median age in Saratoga Springs is 22.6 years old, and the median age in Cedar Hills is 23.2 years old.
Data from the 2010 census showed that 48.2 percent of Eagle Mountain residents were under 18 years old at the time, while 18.2 percent were under 5 years old. Saratoga Springs, the next closest Utah city to make CNN's youngest cities list, had 46.9 percent of residents under 18 years old in 2010, and 17.2 percent under 5 years old.
Three cities from both Ohio and Michigan made the list, as did individual cities in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maryland, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Washington, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, Texas and South Dakota.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17