Each Wednesday the Deseret News publishes a Linda and Richard Eyre feature called "Why the family." The July 31 column, written by Richard Eyre, was titled "Studies show women help men to be more generous." The column appeared online July 30 under the title "Why men need women."
Several paragraphs in that column erroneously failed to use quotation marks to properly attribute their source as an article written for the New York Times by Adam Grant. Grant's article was directly referenced at the opening and close of the Eyres' column.
The Deseret News demands accuracy in attribution and sourcing. We require our columnists to submit articles that are original and accurate in content and style. The Eyres have acknowledged the seriousness of this error and have assured us this was an inadvertent oversight.
Given the seriousness of this mistake we have taken the following steps. We have removed the column from DeseretNews.com. The Deseret News and the Eyres have formally apologized to the New York Times and Mr. Grant. Finally, we are conducting further review of this incident and our processes.
We offer sincere apologies to both The New York Times and Mr. Grant.
- In music video, boy band tells Provo women...
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 143
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 28
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6