President Obama's comment that health insurance is a "right" demonstrates how uninformed he is on the role of proper governance.
The definition of a true right is one that when exercised does not violate the right of another. For example, if someone else has to pay for or provide service for me to exercise my right, it is not a right.
Therefore, things like housing, education, a job, a minimum wage, medical treatment and, yes, health care insurance are not rights at all. Those are things that must be earned.
It's pretty simple to see that a government trying to provide all these things to all people will shortly go broke. Forced confiscation (i.e. taxes) from some to provide unearned entitlements to others is a formula for disaster. It doesn't work.
If we don't keep our current misguided administration in check our republic may be headed for fiscal ruin.
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- Letter: Lagoon animals
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 69
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass 24
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics... 24
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23