Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
CBS has signed a multi-year deal to broadcast the Mountain West Conference Football Championship Game — starting with this year.
CBS will broadcast the inaugural title match-up live on Saturday, Dec. 7, at 8 p.m. MT from the home stadium of the regular-season Mountain West divisional champion with the highest BCS ranking.
So in other words, there's a chance that Utah State could host a nationally-televised game in Logan, at night, in December.
CBS Sports Network serves as the Mountain West's primary television partner and will air 23 games this season featuring MWC teams, with CBS airing one regular-season contest (Air Force vs. Navy). Preceding the MWC title game will be the SEC Championship (2 p.m., MT) from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga.
"The new Mountain West football structure, which will culminate in an exciting match-up between two divisional champions, is one of many recent initiatives for the conference as we enter our next era," said Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson in a press release on Monday. "We are pleased that CBS Sports will serve as a tremendous platform for this marquee event, providing an opportunity to showcase the caliber of Mountain West football."
"We're thrilled to extend our relationship with the Mountain West and broadcast their inaugural football championship game," said Dan Weinberg, CBS Sports senior vice president of programming, CBS Sports. "It's a great addition to our college football programming and we look forward to providing fans with a full day of Championship coverage for many years."
Beginning in the fall of 2013, MWC football membership will include Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Utah State and Wyoming in the Mountain Division and Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State and UNLV in the West Division.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18