Having recently read the letter "Why UTOPIA?" (Aug. 11) by Grant Turnblom, I am prompted to add to his question.
Centerville City is paying out over a half-million dollars each year to pay for UTOPIA. The city has even begun making a "loan" to UTOPIA to pay for deficits in their operating budget. This is money badly needed for city operations and must result in a tax increase to pay for road repairs and other needed expenditures.
Like others, I slept soundly while a handful of elected officials committed us to this mess. We still have advocates for UTOPIA in our city government. Centerville residents need to wake up and elect individuals to the city government who will look at this project objectively and find out if there is a legal way out of this mess.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- President should not act without...
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- Richard Davis: Mandela's greatest achievement...
- Letter: American billionaires
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 61
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 39
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 30
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 29
- President should not act without... 26
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 25