Ketchum's tony retail and dining districts, normally buzzing this time of year with tourists and summer residents, resembled a ghost town. Dozens of retail shops, bars, outdoor cafes and restaurants on the town's main street closed their doors Saturday. Even The Casino, the city's oldest bar, closed its doors to the surprise of residents. The Casino was established in 1936.
"I've never seen it like this," said Dale Byington, general manager and 23-year veteran of The Sawtooth Club. The business was one of a handful of restaurants open on or near Main Street, but it closed early Saturday because of a lack of business.
"The only reason I opened was to give people here a place to go and get some food and drink, but that's not going to happen," Byington said.
Fire officials are hoping the weather cooperates Sunday, when temperatures are expected to cool.
In Utah, fire managers eyed the weather Saturday as crews continued battling several blazes, including the Patch Springs Fire in Tooele County.
The fire was relatively tame until Friday, when shifting winds pushed it over state Highway 199. Flames raced through Willow Springs, about 60 miles southwest of Salt Lake City, and forced the sudden evacuation of homes there and in the community of Terra, as well as a campground.
The highway and campground remained closed Saturday, but residential evacuations were being lifted.
Near Park City, Utah, crews reported progress battling a fire that destroyed eight homes earlier in the week.
That blaze has burned about 3 square miles and was 58 percent contained Saturday, spokeswoman Julie Booth said.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Who wins Senate control? Nov. 4 might not decide
- Decision on Yellowstone bison quarantine...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 6
- It's not just young people —... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5