Ketchum's tony retail and dining districts, normally buzzing this time of year with tourists and summer residents, resembled a ghost town. Dozens of retail shops, bars, outdoor cafes and restaurants on the town's main street closed their doors Saturday. Even The Casino, the city's oldest bar, closed its doors to the surprise of residents. The Casino was established in 1936.
"I've never seen it like this," said Dale Byington, general manager and 23-year veteran of The Sawtooth Club. The business was one of a handful of restaurants open on or near Main Street, but it closed early Saturday because of a lack of business.
"The only reason I opened was to give people here a place to go and get some food and drink, but that's not going to happen," Byington said.
Fire officials are hoping the weather cooperates Sunday, when temperatures are expected to cool.
In Utah, fire managers eyed the weather Saturday as crews continued battling several blazes, including the Patch Springs Fire in Tooele County.
The fire was relatively tame until Friday, when shifting winds pushed it over state Highway 199. Flames raced through Willow Springs, about 60 miles southwest of Salt Lake City, and forced the sudden evacuation of homes there and in the community of Terra, as well as a campground.
The highway and campground remained closed Saturday, but residential evacuations were being lifted.
Near Park City, Utah, crews reported progress battling a fire that destroyed eight homes earlier in the week.
That blaze has burned about 3 square miles and was 58 percent contained Saturday, spokeswoman Julie Booth said.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- Spain hands out $3B in planet's biggest lottery
- Police: Fugitive killed Florida officer
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 19
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 17
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 13
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 10
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8
- Obama declares 2014 'a breakthrough... 7