In Washington's farewell address as he was leaving the presidency, I believe he made a very astute observation:
"If the people ever felt a modification of the constitutional powers to be necessary, let it be done by an amendment in the way which the Constitution designates. But let there be no change by usurpation; for though this, in one instance, may be the instrument of good, it is the customary weapon by which free governments are destroyed."
One only has to view what's happening to realize his words are prophetic.
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes from...
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests — a...
- Letter: Access to health care
- Letter: Distance from religion
- Mark Reynolds: Cheap gas prices won’t...
- Letter: Who can we trust?