Michael Kelsey wants us to spread good feelings toward America all over the Middle East simply by giving up our overly close relationship with our important ally, Israel ("America and Israel," Aug. 11). He wants us to give Palestine to the Palestinian people, and thus end the animosity of the Islamic world toward us.
Three points are important: One, there was never a Palestinian people until Yasser Arafat invented them as a device in his anti-Israel crusade. Two, the animosity of the Islamic world stems from their worldview that there will be no peace until the world is governed by Sharia Law. Three, Washington still takes its marching orders not from Jerusalem but from the generations of philosophers and statesmen who inspired the writing of our Constitution.
Salt Lake City
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- In our opinion: Don't delay saving for...
- Letter: Where's Al Gore?
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Letter: American billionaires 38
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 35
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- Letter: Golden goose 31