Nauvoo, Ill., is among the most beautifully restored historic sites in America.
For many years, Nauvoo Restoration Inc. researched, excavated and restored a number of sites and structures in Nauvoo, where the early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints settled before heading west. Over time, its function came to be one more of preservation than restoration.
Presently, these responsibilities fall under the purview of the LDS Church Historical Department. From time to time, there are opportunities to participate in ongoing research projects such as the one seen in these images. This project is a search for the Nauvoo home site of Joseph Smith Sr. and his wife, Lucy Mack Smith. Visitors are not only allowed but invited to help as their time allows.
Additional information can be found at idignauvoo.org.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2