Nauvoo, Ill., is among the most beautifully restored historic sites in America.
For many years, Nauvoo Restoration Inc. researched, excavated and restored a number of sites and structures in Nauvoo, where the early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints settled before heading west. Over time, its function came to be one more of preservation than restoration.
Presently, these responsibilities fall under the purview of the LDS Church Historical Department. From time to time, there are opportunities to participate in ongoing research projects such as the one seen in these images. This project is a search for the Nauvoo home site of Joseph Smith Sr. and his wife, Lucy Mack Smith. Visitors are not only allowed but invited to help as their time allows.
Additional information can be found at idignauvoo.org.
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Faith carries LDS couple as each of their...
- Which bible do Americans read most?
- 10 accomplishments of the Relief Society
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere illusion?
- Defending the Faith: Is morality mere... 116
- British judge hears arguments in case... 42
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 27
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,... 19
- Overwhelming reaction causes changes to... 17