Nauvoo, Ill., is among the most beautifully restored historic sites in America.
For many years, Nauvoo Restoration Inc. researched, excavated and restored a number of sites and structures in Nauvoo, where the early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints settled before heading west. Over time, its function came to be one more of preservation than restoration.
Presently, these responsibilities fall under the purview of the LDS Church Historical Department. From time to time, there are opportunities to participate in ongoing research projects such as the one seen in these images. This project is a search for the Nauvoo home site of Joseph Smith Sr. and his wife, Lucy Mack Smith. Visitors are not only allowed but invited to help as their time allows.
Additional information can be found at idignauvoo.org.
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 34
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 12
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU... 5
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5