CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah's football team held its first full scrimmage of the fall on Saturday, with a concentration on giving the offensive line and the running backs extensive action while looking to see who would emerge as the primary reserves at all positions on the team.
"We felt like we were behind somewhat in our running game and our offensive line and running back play and them getting a chance to gel, so we went (with) a heavy, heavy majority (of running plays) and I was pleased with the way those two groups responded," head coach Ed Lamb said on Monday after reviewing the game film.
Quarterback Aaron Cantu and running back Christian Taele played just three downs before giving way to their teammates, while receivers Fatu Moala, Easton Pedersen and Griff McNabb did not get into the fray at all.
Nine different running backs got carries, with sophomore Malik Brown breaking the most exciting rushing play of the day, a 42-yard sprint around the right end for a touchdown. Brown finished with 66 yards on five carries, while freshman Christian Jensen carried eight times for 58 yards and senior Vic Spikes finished with 38 yards on nine carries.
At quarterback, freshman Tannon Pedersen suffered a minor injury on a scramble on his second series, leaving Richie Harrington with the bulk of the play at quarterback. Harrington completed 13-of-20 passes for 190 yards, including a 50-yard hookup with Rodain Delus.
C.J. Morgan led all receivers with five catches for 63 yards.
On the defensive side of the ball, freshman linebacker Josh Kariya led the team with five tackles while linebackers Matt Holley and Steve Welsh, safeties Anthony Fagans and Mike Evans, and cornerback Myles Carelock all had four tackles. Carelock and linebacker Chad Hansen added interceptions while freshman linebacker Chinedu Ahanonu had a pair of sacks.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34