16-year-old girl, alleged abductor stood out in Idaho wilderness
Valley County Coroner Nathan Hess said he hadn't yet received DiMaggio's body, but would be responsible for issuing a death certificate and determining whether an autopsy should be performed. Hess said he wasn't sure when his part in the investigation would begin.
On Sunday, FBI agents returned to process the scene at the camp at Morehead Lake, about 8 miles inside the wilderness border and 40 miles east of the central Idaho town of Cascade.
But authorities made clear Sunday that the rescue may have taken longer if not for the chance encounter with John and the other riders.
The case began when the charred bodies of Anderson's mother, Christina Anderson, 44, and the teen's 8-year-old brother, Ethan Anderson, were found in DiMaggio's burning house outside San Diego, near the Mexico border.
DiMaggio was close to the family. Christina Anderson's husband, Brett Anderson, has described him as a best friend and said the children thought of him as an uncle.
Authorities have said DiMaggio had an "unusual infatuation" with Hannah, although the father said he never saw any strange behavior.
An Amber Alert was issued, and tips led investigators to Oregon after DiMaggio and the teen were reportedly spotted there.
Brett Anderson didn't return telephone messages left Sunday by The Associated Press. But he issued a statement to the media Saturday expressing relief that his daughter was safe.
Hannah Darby, one of Hannah Anderson's closest friends, was elated by the news.
"I'm probably going to make a really big basket with all of her favorite things in it," she said. "It will have candy and things that are pink."
Associated Press writers Elliot Spagat in San Diego, Tami Abdollah in Los Angeles, and Rebecca Boone in Cascade, Idaho, contributed to this report.
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Pope asserts marriage is forever at start of...
- Crews keep digging for survivors of Guatemala...
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt traps...
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following Oregon...
- 3 share Nobel medicine prize for new tools to...
- Hatch calls shutting down government over...
- Increasing empathy: can journalism help...
- Gunman opens fire at Oregon college; at... 62
- 'A terrible day' - 9 killed by gunman... 61
- Investigation: Secret Service tried to... 52
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 52
- Obama says response to shootings has... 51
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 35
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following... 27
- Vatican: Pope's visit with Davis not a... 24