After nine months of investigation, District Attorney Sim Gill finally announced his findings about the killing of Danielle Willard by West Valley police officers. He found the shooting was not justified, which opens the flood gates of controversy within the law enforcement community.
This move by Sim Gill is long overdue and takes a great deal of administrative courage. There is a growing trend in law enforcement that in the interest of survival any furtive move in a confrontation is reason to shoot. Training and precaution are expected in police contacts. It is part of a dangerous job — but just like military combat, know your target and the need to pull the trigger.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 62
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28