After nine months of investigation, District Attorney Sim Gill finally announced his findings about the killing of Danielle Willard by West Valley police officers. He found the shooting was not justified, which opens the flood gates of controversy within the law enforcement community.
This move by Sim Gill is long overdue and takes a great deal of administrative courage. There is a growing trend in law enforcement that in the interest of survival any furtive move in a confrontation is reason to shoot. Training and precaution are expected in police contacts. It is part of a dangerous job — but just like military combat, know your target and the need to pull the trigger.
Salt Lake City
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Nelson Mandela left legacy of freedom and faith
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- Letter: Elected representatives
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 48
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 18
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 16