After nine months of investigation, District Attorney Sim Gill finally announced his findings about the killing of Danielle Willard by West Valley police officers. He found the shooting was not justified, which opens the flood gates of controversy within the law enforcement community.
This move by Sim Gill is long overdue and takes a great deal of administrative courage. There is a growing trend in law enforcement that in the interest of survival any furtive move in a confrontation is reason to shoot. Training and precaution are expected in police contacts. It is part of a dangerous job — but just like military combat, know your target and the need to pull the trigger.
Salt Lake City
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 109
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 46
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33