After nine months of investigation, District Attorney Sim Gill finally announced his findings about the killing of Danielle Willard by West Valley police officers. He found the shooting was not justified, which opens the flood gates of controversy within the law enforcement community.
This move by Sim Gill is long overdue and takes a great deal of administrative courage. There is a growing trend in law enforcement that in the interest of survival any furtive move in a confrontation is reason to shoot. Training and precaution are expected in police contacts. It is part of a dangerous job — but just like military combat, know your target and the need to pull the trigger.
Salt Lake City
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do better...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Letter: Police brutality
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 78
- Letter: Police brutality 58
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 31
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 29
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 27
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs... 26
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's... 23